Sunday, May 13, 2007

Harvest Snapshot: Spring Herbs

My garden and a book project have been keeping me way too busy, but the book project is finally put to bed and I am going to give myself a mini-vacation for a week or three! I celebrated by going out this morning while it was still cool, but not damp, and snipping a big basket of herbs to dry. They looked so good that I thought, hey, I should send this to Weekend Herb Blogging! From left to right, marjoram, variegated sage, greek oregano (spicy!), and variegated oregano. A couple of young garlic that I pulled as well are laying across the basket.
herb harvest: marjoram, variegated sage, greek spicy oregano, variegated oregano

The herbs I will separate and dry on a plate, indoors on the bookshelf or armoir top, out of any direct sun. The young garlic I snipped up like scallions or chives, and put in the freezer. I don't pre-wash it, so it freezes up nicely without ice all over it. Put it in soups, stews, or drop in a roasting pan with veggie end-snips (which I also freeze), spray with oil, and pan-roast as the base for a rich veggie stock. snipped-up spring garlic goodness

I don't pre-wash most veggies, since I don't use any sprays or pesticides in my garden, other than point-treating any stubborn aphids with Safer Soap. This year, knock on wood, no real aphid problems other than some Gray Plague in my broccoli when it got too hot for a week, and I took the floating row cover off (doh). I've been letting various weeds stand as attractants to the aphids, and sure enough, the 'phids go there instead of on my tender beans and peas, at least so far. When they have frighteningly infested the attractant weeds, I carefully snip those off and get them the heck out of the garden (carefully! so none will fall off!). Seems to be working so far.

Oh, my usual Garden Help does not care for garlic, but was coaxed into happiness with a treat and a kind word. Here is her little smiling face for all my fellow kitteh lovers out there. :-) Booster Bunny Rabbit (not actually a rabbit)

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

Beatiful harvest of herbs! I've been tempted to pull up a few of my garlic bulbs to see how they're doing. I never though about freezing garlic before; I don't know why. It's a good tip!

9:29 AM PDT  
Blogger Christine said...

Gorgeous herbs!

5:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Raqui said...

Hi - I grow everything from seed and I transplanted Musica beans (Renee's Garden) and when the cold snap happened a bit ago (I live 2000 feet near Boulder Creek on top of ridge so I get lots of sun)the leaves of the beans started to shrivel slightly and lose their vital green color. What do you think?
And: sugar snap and shelling peas from 2007 - Botanical Interests - plenty of peas but absolutely no flavor. Could seeds be too old? Soil seems fine - plants green and vital. What do you think?

2:49 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home