Slacker's Garden Update
I'll try to follow up with pictures.
Cilantro is going strong, all over the place. Batavian Nevada, which I'm starting to suspect is merely a fancy name for Black-Seeded Simpson, ditto. Some Merlot and Cimmaron Romaine have come up in the beds, but most are outside the beds. I'm letting them keep going, but have pointed them out to Mike as "take these first". I think I should start another patch of the romaines. The hard rain either washed away or buried too deeply most of the first set.
The favas are about 2 feet tall, and the some of the beets I put in behind and between them are just showing a pair of seed-leaves.
Two square-foot areas of Baby Catalina Spinach are coming up-- one almostly completely, the other lagging severely. Cascadia snap peas on one trellis are about 2.5 feet tall and starting to climb-- the volunteer peas I mentioned in my December update turned out to be Sweet Peas, not edible peas.
I planted a batch of either Cascadia or Alaska (curse my "I'll remember, no need to label" mentality) at the foot of one of the carport posts, and they germinated 100% and are about a 6 inches tall. I need to get them onto wire or string asap, and didn't get to the hardware store for a trellis this weekend.
The little pak choi mostly didn't emerge, so I resowed and have a half dozen tiny seed-leaves showing. This afternoon, Mike and I dibbled a long, long row of onion sets, half yellow and half red, along the little front decorative fence. I put a set of shallots in the corner, and am figuring out where to put the other set.
A broccoli has come up in the square planter, let's see if it thrives. The Bright Lights chard is still with us, but hasn't taken off yet, is only about thumb-size. Something feathery is up and tall in the back corner, but I can't tell yet if it's a bronto carrot or a small fennel; there are several of them.
Oh, and I dug out my seedling heat mats, and picked up (lazy this year!) a bag of potting soil. Usually I make my own, ain't gonna happen with my current work schedule. Time to start tomatoes and peppers indoors. Maybe time past, but at least I'm starting now. ;-)
Much, much, MUCH weeding done this weekend, and a little earlier in the week-- the soil is so saturated that even Nasty Things with Taproots are coming out nicely. My problem children, aka the bunchgrass, come out in big clumps, and the stitchgrass in patches like sod. All into the compost pile!
Some of my mystery flowers are coming up, too-- there are definitely poppies, and there may have been some earlier that I mistook for dandelion-ish weeds (wups). Something reddish-greenish that looks almost like a zinnia is coming up in 3 places-- I think it might ge the clarkia, which I've not grown previously. And some cute little exuberant green bursts of teensy leaves, which I weeded out in a few spots in the main bed are also showing up in my flower planter. Wups. I wonder what those are. I will leave alone any more that show up outside of the planter.
Cornflowers coming up well in the expected places, and many unexpected ones. Have moved a long line of the out-of-place ones onto the front fence, keeping my fingers crossed that they take. They seem ok so far!