Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mini-Meadow Update: It Worked!

Back in early December, I wrote about seeding a 'food meadow' in my large garden plot. Fast forward a few months, and here is how it turned out: a great success!



Weeds have been light to non-existent, except for one small area where the sheet mulching was too shallow and grass came up. A light session of hand-weeding took care of that.



In this close-up, we see various bits of fennel, carrots, dill, and cilantro are showing their feathery tops above the lettuces. This salad in the making is making me hungry! Alas, it's dark and rainy at the moment, so the greens are safe for now. Tomorrow, though, watch out!

I think the mixed-seed meadow idea has really done well, and I will be doing it again in subsequent years. To do it fully, I'd dedicate an area to it and let a few plants go to seed and keep reseeding themselves. I'm not going to go that far on my main garden bed... I think... but may let a lettuce or two seed out.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn's Cooking Garden! said...

I love all the Lettuces and Herbs you have growing together! I love mixing it up in the garden! Im loving your blog!

9:50 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a terrific idea, thanks for sharing it.

8:50 AM PDT  
Blogger Dewi said...

Oh..., I am so envious. Your garden is gorgeous!

11:22 AM PDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Very interesting! I'd love to see photos of this, as the months go by.

10:17 PM PDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wow, that's crazy looking. Harvesting must be like foraging, or an Easter egg hunt!

5:25 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home